Thursday, January 17, 2013

My Online Identity

Unlike some internet and social network users, I use my actual name in all of my profiles. However, this is not because I'm trying to adhere to Facebook's rule of truthfulness, but more because I'm somewhat uninventive and uninterested. I don't put a lot of work into cultivating my online identity, even though one of the purposes of sites like Facebook and Twitter is to control how you want to present yourself to other people. Instead, my friends are the ones who create my online identity. Since I never post on Facebook and rarely tweet, the only visible activity is comments or messages from my friends or pictures I've been tagged in. So, I guess I've given up control of my online identity and allowed it to become whatever my friends wish it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment